HERBAL WOMB CARE: TEAS, TINCTURES, BATHS & STEAMS
As women, we must understand, the body is still "laboring" for 10-14 days after the birth, continuing to have contractions to keep the uterus well contracted. Many people don't realize that after the placenta is delivered, it leaves a placental "wound" that is as large as the placenta, usually the size of a 10-inch dinner plate. The blood flow to this site before the baby is born is about two cups per minute. If the uterus isn't able to contract and stay reasonably well contracted, the woman would have significant bleeding from this site. So when women try to "get back to normal" too soon after the birth, they run the risk of using up the energy that is supposed to be going to keep the uterus well contracted to keep her from bleeding to death. I strongly encourage my clients to respect this miraculous aspect of birth and stay in bed completely until the milk is in, and then to continue resting in bed or in a relaxed environment in a common room until the baby regains the birth weight.
The benefits of herbal postpartum sitz baths and yoni steams include:
- faster healing times for perenial tissue, vaginal tearing, and abrasions on the vaginal tissue
- shorter period of postpartum bleeding and reduction in likeliness of hemmhorage
- increased immune function for mother and baby
- deep relaxation and reduction in likeliness of postpartum depression
- faster healing of cord stump, rashes, thrush, baby acne and skin irritations
- increased sense of peace, nurturing and support for mother and baby
- increased circulation to joints, muscles and skin
- promotes deeper more restful sleep for mother and baby
- decreased likeliness of vaginal yeast infections from prolonged bleeding and tearing
- re-connection to the spiritual nature of birthing traditions
- increased awareness of the importance of self care practices and nurturance of the mother/baby
We offer teas, baths and steams for Mom & baby, for packages and pricing please Contact Us.